Monday, October 24, 2011

The Three Musketeers - How many remakes is enough?

The 33rd film of The Three Musketeers, according to IMDB, begs the question: WHY? This is not the worst remake but again I have to ask: have writers lost all creativity?

There are too many to compare it to and my affinity for the 1973 version with Oliver Reed may cloud my judgment. I will compare it to the last major theatrical release the 1993 Disney version with Oliver Platt, who was the best part about that remake.

This version brings back the character Planchet. This little addition alone makes it better than the 1993 version. A better portrayal of a powerful but understated Cardinal Richelieu works well. I really like Tim Curry but understated is something he just does not do. The addition of air war ships was dumb but movies now need an excuse for special effects. Starring as Milady is Milla Jovovich and Orlando Bloom as the Duke of Buckingham.

Beyond that… not much to get excited about I would wait untill the movie channels for this one. But it is worth seeing just not at the theatre.

No comments:

Post a Comment